Make your space your own, and add character with a well placed cushion.
The key to choosing the right size is to keep in mind the proportion of the furniture piece it will be placed. Small pillows on large sectionals will get lost - alternatively, an oversized pillow on side furniture can create discomfort.
Cushions aim to enhance and complement furniture, and when working with a variety of sizes and materials, think of the cushions as a collection, or a single unit that needs to be unified and in proportion of one another.
• 18” X 18” and 20” X 20” are the two most standard cushions sizes. These will fit on most couches and chairs. These two sizes are a great place to start building an assortment.
• 22” X 22” and 24” X 24” can be layered perfectly behind an 18” and 20” cushion or a lumbar cushion. These are best placed on a large couch, a nook, or a bench. Place your larger sizes pillows in the middle of the couch, and layer your 18”/20” cushions in front or on either size to create depth and proportion.
• Lumbar cushions are standard sized at 18” X 24” or longer in width. These are great little accent pieces to add pops of colour, texture, or pattern in front of a larger assortment of muted tones and colours. Place on a variety of furniture, including beds and accent chairs.
The Golden Rule
Rug first, cushions second.
Do I match my cushions to my rug?
Hotly debated, your throw cushions should contrast & complement your rug and overall home decor.
1. Create a cohesive colour palette: the basic solid colour of your cushions should reflect accents in your rug, without antagonizing the aesthetic.
2. Balance out your colours: rather than overwhelming the room with same colour. Use different shades and textures to create depth.
3. Keep in the mind the "one + three" rule: settle for three colours from your rug and use them across your pillow selection.
Colour & Pattern
One + Three
Mix & Match
Texture is a characteristic that can reflected in both your rug and cushions. As a rule of thumb, if your area rug has a rough texture, you can safely place rougher cushions in the same room. If your rug is a softer quality or a shag, you can combine it with a softer cushion.
Pattern help shape a visual landscape to your space. A good pattern will anchor together the colours and textures of both the area rug and the cushion. If your going to use pattern, decide on a lead pattern to build around. From there you can play with patterns of different scales.
Stick with the "one + three" rule: keep patterns limited to three.
A popular formula is 1 solid - 1 print - 1 texture.
Transform the exterior of your home with colourful outdoor cushions.
Choosing the right product.
Weather is a huge factor when considering outdoor pieces. Will the cushions sit in mostly the sun, or the shade? Do you live in a rainy climate? While all outdoor cushions are treated for the weather, different materials will react to weather in various ways.
Our outdoor cushions are 100% polypropylene & are both weather resistant and UV Treated. Rain or shine, CAM's products will remain in great condition.
Comfort: No matter your budget for outdoor furniture, you could always use a little extra comfort for those long summer days spent in the sun. Look for thicker filled outdoor cushions, that will add a layer of protection from hard metal furniture.
Style: In a short summer season, you want to get the most out of your time outside. Focus on creating an inviting space that is makes you want to sit outside. When you buy within your personal style, those outdoor cushions can come inside in the fall and be popped on your indoor couches.